Friday, April 21, 2017

Next stop........Installing PEG Tube

Onward we go............

THURSDAY, APRIL 20, 2017

Installation of the Feeding Tube

Not sure if that's the right thing to call it, but what else would you call it?   He had surgery and they put in a feeding tube.  They used the method shown in the video from yesterday's post if you want all the gory details.  






We got to the hospital at about 9:45 this morning.  Thanks to a suggestion from my dear friend, Wendy, we asked the nurse to have the anesthesiologist put in Greg's IV line.  If you will recall, in recent weeks, he has had notoriously bad luck with having IVs put in because his veins are shot from all the chemo he's had over the years.  The anesthesiologist did a GREAT job and it took only one poke.  Greg said he didn't even feel it!  That made me very happy!   Thank you, Wendy!  Until Greg gets his Hickman installed, we will only ever allow an anesthesiologist to put in an IV again!   






OK, so a couple weeks ago, my brother had open heart surgery.  He's doing well, but had some fluid in his lungs that needed to be removed and he was having that done today.  I thought that was something that was going to be done in the doctor's office, but I guess not!  As we were sitting in Greg's room in the surgical area, I heard my maiden name, and then my brother's voice!  I walked out and saw my brother was in the room almost across the hall from us!   Was certainly not expecting that!  It was nice to be able to see him and his wife.  We didn't really get to chat, because they had to take him to the procedure room to get that fluid off is lungs.  I understand he's doing well now!   




Greg was taken back to the OR around 11:15 and was back by noon!  Dr. McDreamy said that everything went well with the tube.  Unfortunately, Greg was in a LOT of pain.  Now, Greg can handle pain.  He's in pain daily.  I've never seen him complain or fuss the way he was this time.  The nurse called Dr. McDreamy, and he said he wasn't surprised because the way they had to position Greg, he probably didn't get the full effect of the local anesthetic.   Poor Greg!   He was able to get quite a bit of morphine while we were in the hospital and that helped, but not as much as one would hope.  He's pretty sleepy here. 

We didn't leave until about 1:30 p.m., and had to wait for the nurses to show me how to flush the tube, because it's not going to be used for a while (hopefully!), we don't want it to clog up, so I will have to flush it every day.   

When the time comes that we will need to use the feeding tube, we will meet with the dietitian again and have some home health care set up, along with getting the "food" ordered for him.  I'm not sure what the insurance is going to cover for all this, and I know that Medicare will not cover it because it's not permanent.  Whatever it is, it is.  I'm not going to worry about it.  God will provide.  

In case you're wondering, here's a picture of the tube.  I'm guessing that you'd be surprised if I didn't post a picture of it!  HA!      





Eventually, the gauze underneath it will not be needed, but obviously, we need it for now.  The other end of the tube actually has closures on it just like a blow-up mattress!  That made me giggle.    

We'd certainly appreciate your prayers that Greg's pain ends quickly!  I really HATE to see him in so much pain!   

Blessings to all, 

Julie 


No comments:

Post a Comment

May Day..........May Day!!......May1, 2017........All treatment starts........

It's 1:34 a.m. Tuesday May 2nd 2017........... @ the Mik Household.......Got Chemo pumping through my veins.......Listening to this so...